It's not isometric, it's not one point, maybe top down?

I want to Google it and don't know how.

Thanks car

  • 3
    Artistic oblique?
    – joojaa
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 19:52
  • Here's another one: i.imgur.com/PkChV9a.png Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 23:40
  • It's somewhat isometric, but not quite.
    – Zibbobz
    Commented Feb 27, 2015 at 21:53

4 Answers 4


It's closest to a view called a three-quarters view, a type of axonometric projection, in between a side view and top down one. It's "[a] method of portraying three dimensional space in a two-dimensional plane ... [very] popular during the 16-bit era for JRPGs." source.

three-quarters view example

It's still used in games today because of the high performance and artistic draw.

The style is also part of a more broad category of 2.5D, which comes in many forms. For more guidance on types of projection, check out this article.

  • 2
    Agree with DA01 (+1). Now I am dying to use 2.5D in my next project. Lol.
    – cockypup
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:44
  • Glad to be usefully making so many people learn new terms :) Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:49
  • This isn't really 2.5D. That term more refers to 3D character models on a 2D plane. One term you might try associating with this is "Isometric", which is what a lot of top-down psudo-3d games used.
    – Zibbobz
    Commented Feb 27, 2015 at 21:54
  • It looks like the person who made this tilted the hood of the car down to try to simulate the tilt of a real car hood, and not to force any sort of perspective. I agree that the term for this type of perspective it is 2.5D
    – Ian
    Commented Jul 3, 2018 at 17:11

It's not truly perspective. It's an artistic interpretation of a 3D element, but not adhering to any mathematical perspective grid.

The closest to a true type perspective would be one point perspective.

It could also be considered foreshortening outside of the perspective context.

  • 1
    I didn't know the term foreshortening until now :) Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:48
  • 1
    @ZachSaucier we're schooling each other today! :)
    – DA01
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:48
  • 3
    Glad to be usefully making so many people learn new terms :) Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:49
  • 5
    If I were a painter or historyan I would call that a cubist interpretation of the objects, where you have multiple points of view at the same time. The perspective of the wheels are planar, but you still can see an almost orthogonal top view.
    – Rafael
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 18:23
  • @Rafael cubist is a good way to describe it!
    – DA01
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 18:39

I don't think this illustration follows any of the strict formal Cartesian perspective models. If you try to find a vanishing point using edges that would have been parallel in the "real world" you will notice that there is none.

enter image description here

The front of the car seems to follow, loosely, a one point perspective model. The rest of the car, though, follows an isometric projection, since most edges are almost parallel when they are in the same plane.

I think the illustrator might have taken the liberty to mix and match the projection method to add energy and quirkiness to the illustration. Isometric projections make objects looks small, sort of like toys, which might have been his intention. Maybe (guessing) he modified it a bit to suggest movement, since if the car was moving, you would not would have been able to see all the parts of the car at once. Or maybe he just played with it until he liked it : )

  • Thanks, but it was just an example, you can consider all your red lines 90º. :) Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:46
  • 3
    Ah, then Zach's your guy.
    – cockypup
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:47
  • Indeed he is. :) Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 17:48
  • 3
    If you ignore the bumper, it almost looks like some kind of inverted perspective (i.e. vanishing point is "in front of" the car).
    – Random832
    Commented Feb 26, 2015 at 18:29
  • @Random832: It occurs to me that an inverted perspective might be an interesting way to show more sides at once, but retain the general shape and angle. Commented Feb 27, 2015 at 0:56

If you are just looking for a common term, this might be called bird's eye view.

  • 1
    Bird? In some years will be known as Drone's view n_n
    – Rafael
    Commented Jun 15, 2016 at 18:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.