Basically printing 3d letters for indoors (or outdoor) like on the picture? Is there a special printing technique involved in the making of these letters?

enter image description here enter image description here

  • 1
    It's not "printing". It's manufacturing, like any furniture or object. Just because the shapes happen to be letters it doesn't change the general process. They could easily be window trim, or fenceposts, or light finials. They are cut, shaped, sanded, welded, or poured, and painted like anything else.
    – Scott
    Commented Mar 27, 2015 at 7:31
  • I see! Thanks for the answer. I was searching for companies, shops that do this, but i failed to find one. Hence the reason for me being here.
    – Tngabor
    Commented Mar 27, 2015 at 7:37
  • You'll need to find woodworkers, metalworkers, or machinists. Few design company will do this outright, they might manage it for you, for a fee, and subcontract the work out to a manufacturer.
    – Scott
    Commented Mar 27, 2015 at 7:46
  • 2
    This is where the difference of design an engineering goes. You might use a 3d printer tough. but you would need to do the STL mesh yourself.
    – joojaa
    Commented Mar 27, 2015 at 8:45
  • 2
    Sign shops also do this sort of work all the time.
    – Voxwoman
    Commented Mar 27, 2015 at 11:47

1 Answer 1


There is no printing technique for this but these are custom made letters. Based on the pictures I would assume the top are metal letters possibly formed and painted at a lighted sign shop. The bottom letters, based on the texture in the light, appear to be foam letters. There are many variations to 3D letters. A simple google search for the following could help you narrow down the type of letters you may need:

  • Injection molded
  • Formed Plastic
  • Cast Metal
  • Cut Metal
  • Cut Plastic
  • Metal Laminate
  • Fabricated Metal

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.