Similar to this:


3 Answers 3


That is a font, there is probably no drop-shadow involved. These are typically called woodcut fonts and many have the word "wood" in their font names ("Cottonwood" etc. but this is really just an author preference). Another possibility is "arabesque".

If you want to know how they got the lace effect, they probably made a layer with lace, created a white layer on top of that, and then applied the type to a layer mask so that the black portions of the text knocked out the white layer allowing the lace layer to show through.

Google: woodcut font, arabesque font and photoshop type mask and/or photoshop layer mask for more information.


Typeface: Rosewood. 3 masks: the outer silhouette, the black portions of the type, and the inner white portions of the type.

White masked portion receives a gradient, blue to white, and a lace overlay in pink. Black masked portion receives a solid blue, and a lace overlay in pink. additional black portion mask with a 2px stroke on top of all. Sillhouette mask to knock out to white.

enter image description here

  • The decorative elements could be considered wood-inspired. Akin to circus type that was typically set in ornately carved wood type. The 3d effect can be found in all sorts of type 'genres' however. One that often will have them is a face with 'engraved' in the title or description.
    – DA01
    Commented Dec 14, 2011 at 20:41
  • Looks like I found the font BTW: Royal Nonesuch WF ( waldenfont.com/wildwestpressfonts.asp ). WELL, PRETTY CLOSE. The decorative elements are dead on, but the shapes are off a little.
    – horatio
    Commented Dec 16, 2011 at 15:23
  • Better match: typekit.com/fonts/…
    – horatio
    Commented Dec 16, 2011 at 15:29

Even if font is "flat" by itself, you can easily add "extrusion" effect with blend tool in any vector graphics editor. As for overlayed pattern, there's a plethora of ways to do it.


You can create this font by your self but it will take a good amount of time and you have to have good knowledge of patterns, shadow Photoshop etc.

I would suggest if the motto is to get this font only you can get this here its rosewood font and if you want to know how to get this effect please see horito's share....

  • Down voter...............can you explain..
    – Jack
    Commented Jan 2, 2012 at 4:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.