Can someone remind me what the technical name is for the removal of a background from a still image?

Our photographer told me years ago, but I've since forgotten and it gets embarrassing!

6 Answers 6


Depending on the context and who you're talking to, this is referred to as "keying" (also referred to as Chroma Key), "matting" (mostly video), "masking" (you'll come across "clipping mask" as a term which is interchangeable with "mask" in most cases) or extraction. These are all names for the same general technique, which is the basis of Compositing.


You might mean "background extraction".


While I think Alan probably has it, silhouetting is an old school printer's term, opaquing (using a red clay-like paint to mask off portions of B&W film negatives), and vignetting all might fit the bill.


You could say "Cut out" or "Image cut out"


The phrase I was looking for is 'deep-etching'.

Thanks for all the answers, guys.

  • Deep etching is how to achieve the effect after the plate is burned. The correct answer is given by Alan Gilbertson, below.
    – Stan
    Commented Sep 6, 2013 at 20:04

Another term could be "Isolated Image"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.