I'm looking to recreate the line placed above the word "ZARA" in the following example.

example graphic

Aside from using the Pen tool to get the shape, how can I change the stroke at both ends of the line?

  • 1
    Which version of Illustrator? CS6 has 'width profiles' and a 'width tool' that makes this very easy (maybe CS5 too?). – user56reinstatemonica8 Apr 13 '15 at 11:28
  • @user568458 the Width tool was indeed implemented at CS5 and called "Beautiful Strokes" at the time. – Scott Apr 13 '15 at 21:40

You can use the Width Tool to vary the stroke of a path in Illustrator.

However...that is now how I would create that shape. It would be easier to just draw to ellipses and use Pathfinder's Minus Front to cut out the shape. To demonstrate, here's what you need to draw:

shape drawn using ellipses

With both selected, using Minus Front from the Pathfinder pane will produce the final shape.

enter image description here

|improve this answer|||||
  • Thank you very much for your help. Greatly appreciated! – young Apr 16 '15 at 4:13
  • any tips on how to get the same distance from the C in care and the R in Zarah to the end of the ellipse? – young Apr 16 '15 at 4:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.