As all the big sites have been updating their style recently, I've noticed this effect on a few sites and I'm wondering how they do it.

Its like this normal gradient effect, with this pattern, abbit similar to a dissolving effect, but not quite that...

JSFIDDLE: Its on the top menu bar on this site: http://jsfiddle.net

Twitter: Again, its on the top black menu bar on http://twitter.com.

Youtube: Its like the whole of Youtube's background but its quite hard to notice on that one. http://youtube.com

Do you guys see what I'm talking about?

How would I get that effect in Photoshop?



It's called 'noise'. Most raster image editing software have various noise filters.

| improve this answer | |

Actually in JsFiddle I've used a combination of noise and a very subtle grain texture.

| improve this answer | |
  • Lol at that :) (+1) – Joonas Dec 21 '11 at 10:12
  • Glad you did :) – Jack Dec 21 '11 at 13:07

The art here is to use a pattern on top of your chosen color, and then lowering down the opacity of your pattern overlay to an almost imperceptible level. An example is here: enter image description here

(I've used the 'Parchment' pattern with 20% opacity)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy