The issue I am struggling with can be described by the following steps:
- Create new RGB document.
- Ensure that it's color mode is really RGB and not CMYK.
- Ensure that Edit/Color Settings are set to Monitor Color. Also, that under 'Assign profile' it is set to 'Don't Color Manage This Document'. The point is that I don't want any color profile or gamma correction at all, I would like to have the same numerical values on any device. Don't care about printing either.
- Draw a rectangle with a solid color e.g. 62,185,203.
- Verify that it is seen as 62,185,203, I use OSX's built in Digital Color Meter for this (setting 'Display native values). It appears correct.
- Now, I'd like to export to a PNG. Select Save for Web, use PNG24. Now, in the preview window I see a different color with Digital Color Meter (and with my eyes also): 0,189,206.
Same results with both CS6 and CS5, on two different machines. I verified there is no color profile in the resulting png (which is what I want, but the colors are off), so tools like pngcrush or ImageOptim do not help (tried already).
I realize that there are similar questions on Stack Exchange already, but the accepted solution for those other questions seems to be to turn off color management, which I already had.
Thank You for your help!