I am trying to place a large image over multiple artboards in illustrator. The image stretches over 8 artboards. I would like each artboard to be able to separate constraining the image proportions to each artboard. When I save as .ai and check separated artboards it will save the artboards individually but each board contains the entire image instead of the portion of the image I want.
The Artboard never split an image unless you export it to Jpg using Artboard here is my solution:
- arrange your artboard the way you want
- place the image and stretch it over all your Artboard the way you want
- export the file as JPG or TIF and check the checkbox
- Illustrator will export all your artboard into some individual images, you will notice that each Artboard will export a portion from the bidder image version. you will notice that each file name have a suffix with the artboard name. you will never get lost.
-- if you for artboard that have a portion of the bigger image individual so you have to continue with the next steps.
- Now return to the illustrator and delete the bigger image.
- place the images that you have just exported into illustrator each image in its artboard.
-- That's it.