I am just wondering if there is any option in illustrator similar to the shared layer styles in Fireworks.

For example:

I apply a defined color to several objects/elements (Text or Shapes) and if i change that color, it will automatically change on every element that it was applied to.

I hope you know what I am trying to explain here and can help me out with a positiv answer.

1 Answer 1


Yes. This is what Graphic Styles in Illustrator are designed to do.

More information can be found in Illustrator's Help Files : https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/graphic-styles.html

It may also be beneficial to explore Symbols within Illustrator. Symbols are based more upon specific artwork than effects, but the use of Symbol Instances can be handy.

More information on Symbols can also be found in the Illustrator help files: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/symbols.html

  • 1
    Add to that global colors
    – joojaa
    May 17, 2015 at 19:39
  • @Scott thanks for your reply! I already know graphic styles, but somehow I can't edit them globally when applied. when I select a graphic style it shows up in my appearence panel. When I try to change the fill-color, it creates automatically a new appearence and doens't update the current graphic style. May 17, 2015 at 20:15
  • You need to review the help files @SlimMarten There are specific steps to apply styles to objects, then to update styles so changes are reflected on those objects. That isn't an issue with Graphic Styles, it's an issue with how you are using the Styles.
    – Scott
    May 17, 2015 at 20:17
  • @Scott ... Shame on me, alt + drag.. thank you, I didn't made it to the bottom of the doc: "Replace graphic style attributes. Alt‑drag (Windows) or Option‑drag (Mac OS) the graphic style you want to use onto the graphic style you want to replace." May 17, 2015 at 20:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.