Some examples with text over a transparent background:

See the transparent black background

transparent text box background

See the text on the shade of cyan

text over cyan background

What would you call this type of effect?

  • Some people might answer that if the purpose of the question would be made clear. Maybe. – Michael Schumacher Jun 10 '15 at 18:07
  • 1
    Both of these are different. The top one is just a transparent text box. I don't know what the other is supposed to be, but it's truly horrible. – Billy Kerr May 24 '19 at 9:29

I'm not sure this has a name (may well be proven wrong!) but i would call it a:

"Transparent text box"


I am not sure if they have name. The effect is different in the example sites you have given. In the first one, it almost appears as a lightbox effect with text instead of an image. I am referring to the box that has this text: "Pietro Mellini..." You could call that a "transparent overlay box".

But wait a while and someone will provide with more accurate answer.

  • Thank you for all of your help guys. Sorry my question...was bad. Thanks for that feedback on that too – Todd Jun 10 '15 at 16:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.