How to replace flag (U.S flag in the picture below) with other flag (for example, United Kingdom) on astronaut using Photoshop CS6?

Displacement mapping gave weird results, and blending did not work out nicely at all.

So, can anyone point at some direction, how to do that?

Thanks Astronaut

  • Have you tried using the warp tool and then using adjustment layers to darken? – AndrewH Jun 10 '15 at 19:28
  • 2
    Does the UK have astronauts? – Scott Jun 10 '15 at 19:34
  • @AndrewH Yes, however that belt gets on the way. I guess using lasso tool and dividing flag to 2 at the belt might give the desired result. – Astro Jun 10 '15 at 19:41
  • @Scott - No idea. Just for example. The point is to achieve same thing as this- wild.as/pages/hell/cover-astronaut.png There is Austria flag on that astronaut. The original image is the one posted with U.S flag. How they did that magic is why I am here. – Astro Jun 10 '15 at 19:43
  • I was just kind of curious Astro, that's all :) – Scott Jun 10 '15 at 20:28

I would use the warp tool for this.

1) Find flag

2) Rotate flag and scale down

3) Bring up the transform options (edit - transform or ctrl + T) and select warp.

4) I first lowered the opacity of the flag layer to see easily transform the edges. Bring the edges of the flag to cover up the American flag :(

warp flag

5) I then traced the arm thing with the pen tool and added a layer mask to the flag to show the arm thing. You fill the selection with black.

6) I then added a solid black color to clip the flag and then used a clipping mask to not show some of the black


result of astro

  • Wow, good job! The masking works. Amazing. Thank you! – Astro Jun 10 '15 at 19:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.