Hi I am unsure what to call this technique that Live2D uses and I wanted get some more information about it.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW6Yrxnn5dM

You can see how they add the 2D textures then they can give it a pseudo 3d effect like turning the head and having the face and stuff move somewhat realistically.

What's this technique called?

  • 1
    Looks to just be Puppet Warp in Photoshop. (Didn't watch the video, just fast forwarded it)
    – Scott
    Jun 12, 2015 at 6:54
  • I was just searching same but different :"how to take a 2d image and make it into 3d for a 3d printer, i found omnomnom creator and a blender tutorial to do that with a pic and a heightmap omnom is only on mac :/ Jun 14, 2015 at 16:30

1 Answer 1


It is a specific aplication: http://www.live2d.com/en/products/cubism_editor. Too bad it is not in english.

It is a program to make animations, like you can see in the keyframe editor on the bottom.

The principle is a parallax effect. It is somehow common in website design theese days. http://matthew.wagerfield.com/parallax/ In a website you can make it interactive. On that program looks optimised for animation.

It also has some morphing controls.

I am wondering if that can be done in a real3D aplication like blender using inverse kinematics... Yea... I have homework to do...

Updated: Yea its pártially in english and it has a free version.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.