I'm unsure whether this is the right place to ask this kind of thing but honestly, I'm at wit's end here, so I'll try anything. Feel free to migrate or edit.
In a font I recently bought, a glyph is too small for my liking. I therefore decided altering the glyph slightly to show a longer extension from the baseline (I hope it's clear what I mean with this).
After doing some research, I have the following software at my disposal for changing the glyph:
- FontLab Studio 5
To check how the new font looks, I also have trial versions of
- FontExplorer X Pro
- Suitcase Fusion 6
(The final product is to be a math font for use with the TeX typesetting system.)
Editing any font is correctly reflected in both pieces of font editing software (Studio as well as FF).
However, something strange happens when I check the font in the font management software. FontExplorer does not show the edited glyph, while Suitcase Fusion does show the new glyph. Converting the OpenType file to readable font metrics for my typesetting software, the wrong glyph shows up in the glyph table.
I've tried changing some things around a bit. I can reproduce the problem on both of my Windows 7 systems (laptop/PC), I can reproduce the problem with either of two pieces of font editing software. Also, this happens for any glyph.
I've already tried changing the font cache, reinstalling everything (Windows included), or trying different fonts, glyphs, and so on. The problem persists.
For reproducability, consider Comic Sans (which I believe comes with any Windows distribution): a TrueType-flavoured OpenType font.
I can change any glyph, say the capital letter A. To edit the glyph, I open up FontForge¹ and double click any glyph. I move an anchor point to a random location (you can change two anchor points to be sure). Afterwards, I save the font as a FontForge file (just to be sure) through File → Save as... In the new window I can save the font as say,
comic2.sfd. I then export/generate the font through File → Generate Fonts..., where I'll select a fontname, say
comic2.ttf, where I'll set options: TrueType, No Bitmap Fonts and No Rename. I only force glyph names to Validate Before Saving. I have not changed any settings in FontForge, so the Options window just shows defaults.
After validating, an error shows up saying that “the font contains errors”:
- Wrong Direction
- Missing Points at Extrema
- Glyph contains overlapped hints (in the same hintmask)
I'm unsure what these mean, but I tell FontForge to go ahead anyway, so I clicked Save.
The newly generated font now doesn't show the correct glyph.
¹ tried several releases, but I tested most with the latest release as well as the July 14, 2012 release.