im just wondering how you would go about making this texture overlay in photoshop. im familiar with masks and blending modes but i just cant get it looking right. any help would be great. cheers enter image description here

  • 1
    I see at least 6 various "texture overlays" Any clue as to what, specifically, you are referring to?
    – Scott
    Commented Jul 1, 2015 at 2:08
  • yep. im referring to the grungy texture that sits over the blue, black and grey background. its best seen in the lower left of the image
    – Ned
    Commented Jul 1, 2015 at 2:13
  • 1
    What are you struggling with though? Identifying what that texture IS or you think you know what it is and are struggling with HOW to apply it? Would really help to see your attempt so we can better say what you might be missing.
    – Ryan
    Commented Jul 1, 2015 at 3:59

1 Answer 1


There are many ways to achieve this grunge wall affect, but the easiest way to achieve this would be to create the colour layers first or backgrounds (ie: in your example, the blue brush stroke, the black brush and the gray image).

Then what I would do is create a layer on top of those and use a grunge brush over them in a black shade. You may want to lower the opacity afterwards so it doesn't overpower the BG

There are so many grunge brushes out there, deviat art is a great place to find them. Something like this: http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/?section=&global=1&q=grunge+wall+brush

Then I would sugest playing around with blend layers like levels and curves to get the darkened areas to appear better.

With these kind of things to get the best results, you should do as many individual layers as you can, and overlay them so they blend in, that's basically what this person has done and then you can get some really nice work.

  • 1
    +1 Good explanation. This is how I would have done it, except for the grunge brush. I would've gotten a concrete texture or similar, desaturated it, adjusted brightness and contrast/levels and set the layer blend mode to multiply or screen depending on the image. Commented Jul 6, 2015 at 19:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.