This question already has an answer here:

I've spent ages so far fiddling with adjustments and filters in the hope that I can recreate the effect shown in this picture.

I've tried posterising other similar effects, but I want to keep the level of detail in the face as it is kept in this photo.

Thanks in advance :)

Effect I am going for

marked as duplicate by Scott adobe-photoshop Jul 17 '15 at 16:42

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


You'll need to create a gradient map over the image:

Layer > new adjustment layer > gradient map

Then select 2 colours you would like to use in the gradient from the properties panel.


Hum... I basicly see:

1) Grayscale image. You can crop the black and white values using levels. Normally you just adjust it enough so the graph touches the borders, but in this case you need to move that graph further away.

2) Change the blend mode to multiply and use whichever color you need in a layer or background below it.

The specifics would depend on the aplication you are using but the idea is the same.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.