I am working on somthing like interactive CSS editor. For many things in CSS - rules you can find icons/pictograms, like a I for italic text or like this B for bold, there are many other examples, I think we all know, or just look at the editor here.

But is there a - lets call it standard - icon / pictogram for "leave it like it is"?

Think about the following: enter image description here enter image description here we all have seen this (or a like) normal vs bold, but how should the icon look like for: "dont change", if you want take back "bold" not to override the parent font, that prob is "bold" or "normal"

The question is, are there such pictograms? I dont ask for ideas how the should look like (although as comment I like suggestions)

The point is, that I cant belive, that I am the first one, that needs a 'put back to default' icon/pictogram

edit: I am not searching for just "bold or not bold", I think of an icon, thet fits also for "font: Arial / font: inherit" or "border: blue / border: inherit"

2 Answers 2


I some time ago prepared an icon for my word documents. Was s simple X (cross, not a letter x) That means to me "Remove aditional styles, leave the default one"

  • This is also a very good recommendation.
    – Hanna
    Jul 30, 2015 at 21:59

Since you are resetting options back to inherit, or resetting these options to their default values I would find an arrow would be appropriate.

By arrow I mean something like these undo icons, here is an example from that page:

enter image description here

I think that action is very clear and has established meaning.

Alternatively, if you're looking for something that more closely means "inherit" I would still recommend an arrow, but perhaps one that is pointing down in order to try to establish that you are getting something from somewhere else (inheriting the information).

I don't believe there's actually an icon that mean's "default" as it is very situational, but no you are not the first to have this problem, I'm sure.

  • I wait a bit with 'accepting', but your suggestion with the undo icons gave me already a big step - its the "crossed edit pencil"
    – halfbit
    Jul 28, 2015 at 22:31
  • That's fine. Glad to hear I could help out.
    – Hanna
    Jul 28, 2015 at 22:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.