Is there a name for this layout?

enter image description here enter image description here


The name for this type of layout is called knolling.

This term originated in 1987 though I believe the popularity of this sort of style blew up due to the Things Organized Neatly blog.

  • This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! – Tracy Fu Aug 6 '15 at 21:25
  • I didn't actually know the name until just a minute ago when I decided to do some in-depth research. So I learned something new as well! – Hanna Aug 6 '15 at 21:26
  • Your googling is far superior to mine. – Tracy Fu Aug 6 '15 at 21:27
  • "The first person to knoll was Andrew Kromelow, a janitor at Frank Gehry's furniture store. At the time, Gehry was designing for a popular furniture brand called Knoll… …Kromelow would go through the store and find any tools that had been left out. He would then rearrange the tools on a flat surface so they were at right angles to one another. He called this knolling, because it reminded him of the angles in Florence Knoll's furniture pieces." — via Creative Market – George C Aug 26 '18 at 18:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.