Type of typography/design

Does anyone know of a label that could be applied to the style of typography/design above?

  • 2
    Do you mean, what style is it in? I'd call it "80's"
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 14, 2015 at 17:21
  • Hi Sam, if you're looking for the name of this style, please edit your question and re-tag it as [style-identification]. If you'd like to identify the font, check out our requirements for font identification questions
    – JohnB
    Commented Aug 14, 2015 at 20:11
  • Thanks @JohnB though I'm sure it's probably not a font and more of a design style that I'm looking for... I'm not sure how I could be more specific as it's a very straight forward question.
    – Sam
    Commented Aug 16, 2015 at 21:14
  • 1
    @Sam it's worded confusingly, though. What do you mean by 'type' of design? For 'type' I'd say it's just words set in type. There's nothing special about it. For 'style' you could use terms like 'geometric', '80s modern' or even 'sorta art deco'. But there's no 'one' term for this.
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 16, 2015 at 21:59
  • Seems like OP makes a mistakes / confuses typography (a define set of characters) and "lettering" (custom letters drawn one by one by an artist). The "graphical style" is a mix of 80s shapes with modern colors, the letters are in different styles each, ranging from "deco", "art nouveau" "skewed" and "geometric". Commented Aug 16, 2015 at 23:45

2 Answers 2


This is drawing heavily from The Memphis Group's design motifs. They became shorthand for the 80s, due to the rather bizarre level of market acceptance they received during that period.

enter image description here

For something slightly less gaudy, also look at Constructivism and De Stijl.


I'd probably call it '80s revival' as the colours, while still gaudy, are slightly more muted than actual 1980s colours (for example, 'Miami Vice' titles or The Memphis Group's furniture, as @plainclothes says).

If you want a shorter term, how about 'naff'!? (If you lived through the 80s it's quite depressing to see this sort of mish-mash come back on behance, etc.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.