I want to be able to get a ascending/descending size ( 3D ) effect with CS5 Photoshop text. Like this.

I've tried make each letter a different size and edit -> transform -> scale and am very limited.

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


I can't directly reference CS5. I no longer have it available to work in. However...

You can't do this easily with Live Type.

But you can create a smart object of the type (or rasterize the type) then transform. Converting type to a shape layer would also allow the transformation to work. Really, using a smart object with live type may be best because you can edit the content of the text later if needed.

Just highlight the layer and choose Edit > Free Transform

Hold down the Command-Option-Shift keys (Mac) or the Ctrl-Alt-Shift keys (Win) and click a handle and drag it...

enter image description here

I created a smart object of a standard type layer so that the free transform was possible.

  • Command/Ctrl key = Distort
  • Option/Alt key = From Center
  • Shift key = Constrain to 90° dragging

In newer versions of Photoshop, you can also utilize the Perspective Warp feature in the Edit menu.

  • 1
    Cs 3 introduced Smart objects.
    – Joonas
    Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 14:44

This was the easiest solution. Up to step 8.

Essentially you convert the text to a shape -> transform path -> pull bottom right anchor down ( or left depending which side you want warped )

  • 2
    Please include the relevant content from the link in your answer itself. Otherwise your answer could be deleted Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 3:44
  • @ZachSaucier see edits Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 14:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.