What do you call this type of image in design term?



The closest formal term I know to something like this is a calligram which is

A word or piece of text in which the design and layout of the letters creates a visual image related to the meaning of the words themselves. -- Oxford definition

But most of the time calligrams use the text itself to create the shape of the larger word or image, not just lighting like in the image you provided. Using layout instead of solely text color makes more appealing and less thrown together.

There are also some similar terms like word mosaic, word cloud, text art (or portraits), or typography art (or portraits) that are close as well.

  • 3
    Calligram! What a beautiful word. – Lauren-Clear-Monica-Ipsum Aug 29 '15 at 13:38
  • 1
    What the OP posted is just a simple mask. – Jongware Aug 29 '15 at 13:40
  • @Jongware I realize that – Zach Saucier Aug 29 '15 at 13:47
  • 1
    @Jongware It's ok even if it's a mask (I also only noticed after you mentioned it!), the OP certainly wanted the kind of answer Zach posted but might not have used the best example in his/her question. That is a very nice word indeed, good to know, thanks. – go-junta Aug 29 '15 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.