i try to edit a photo like the picture. i think that is an overlay color. after i try to make overlay with Photoshop, the result is totally diferent.

Uptwon photo

This is the result of my attempt

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


It's quite easy to do that and there are a lot of ways to do it, too.

  • Create a new layer with a white radial gradient from center and set layer opacity to 60% (adjust according to your preferences).
  • Add a HUE adjustment layer and set the saturation to -100.
  • Add a photo filter adjustment layer, pick the color red and uncheck Preserve Luminosity and set the Density to 100%.

Look :

enter image description here

  • That was fast...but why (supposing that you did) did you downvote @voxwoman and @ryan? Their answers apply too. Like I said, there are a lot of ways to do this and mine is only one of them :)
    – Alin
    Commented Aug 31, 2015 at 15:04
  • You forget the density. haha. . . many thanks to u. :D
    – Cecep
    Commented Aug 31, 2015 at 15:06
  • @cecep Yup, I forgot to mention to set it to 100% :)
    – Alin
    Commented Aug 31, 2015 at 15:08

i want to make effect like that photo, i thinks that just make a layer with red background and set opacity to 60% (overlay). i was do that, but the result is different.

Make a layer with the color you want on top of the original image, and set the Blending Mode to Multiply (see screencap below. The red part is a solid red layer with blending mode set to Multiply)

The Blending Mode dropdown is at the top of the layers panel.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.