When joining thick lines there are usually some options

  • round
  • miter
  • bevel

In a bevel join, the joint is 'flat'. But what does that mean precisely?

There seem to be two options:


The two points are orthogonal to their respective segments and half the thickness away from them:



The distance from the 'flat' to the center line is half the line thickness:


Which of them is actually a true bevel-join? And is there a name for the other (I'm thinking it might be some kind of truncated miter).

  • Not quite sure what made the editor relate this post to adobe-illustrator. I don't even have the software :) I got to admit though, I was a bit at a loss when it came to finding tags for this question.
    – Stefan
    Sep 3 '15 at 11:45

Neither Adobe's PostScript(R) Manual, Second Edition nor W3C's SVG manual describes the "Thickness" bevel.

Your "Orthogonal" bevel corresponds to the definition of "Bevel join" in both manuals, so I suppose that one would be considered the true bevel-join.

Neither manual calls it "Orthogonal". The PostScript(R) manual describes the construction of the bevel as capping each of the two intersecting lines with a square butt cap, then filling in the resulting empty triangle, while the SVG manual simply has an illustration that appears to be the same as your "Orthogonal" join.

  • Yea, I made those words up :) The "thickness" one might be nothing more than inaccurate illustrations in manuals and such. Many thanks.
    – Stefan
    Sep 3 '15 at 11:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.