I have some normal plain photos that I want to convert to achieve a similar tone / feel. I am fairly new to Photoshop and I know I have to play with the saturation(?) to get this. What other settings should I be using to achieve this effect?
Here is another approach using colored layers, it is 100% nondestructive:
- On the top of the layer stack, add a Photo Filter adjustment layer
- Choose the color you like, make sure to have a check mark in the box next to "Preserve Luminosity" option
- Adjust "Density" to taste
- You can change the color by clicking on the "Color" if you like instead of using a pre set photo filter
- Optionally, you can also adjust the opacity of this layer
An alternative to using a photo filter is:
- Add a blank layer at the top of the stack
- Fill it with a color you like, something like sepia or selenium which is somewhere between blue and purple
- Change the blend mode to "Hue"
- Adjust layer opacity to taste
In either case, you can drag this layer from one image to another to apply the same effect, thus maintaining a unified look. Take a look at the screen capture below.
In the Image menu there is a tool called match color (Image → Adjustments → Match Colors). It tries to match the color of one image (or selection thereof) with another image. Splitting your images off and using the first image as a source for the others with.
Image 1: After matching all images with leftmost image, uisng 15% fade and 80-90% Intensity settings.