I`m trying to create a banded gradient with Photoshop, similar to the one pictured on this packaging:


Can I achieve this with a normal gradient in Photoshop or do I have to create this rectangle by rectangle?

1 Answer 1


It's probably easiest to create this by hand, or rectangle by rectangle. One way to somewhat recreate this is by going to Filter > Filter Gallery > Artistic > Cutout and playing with the settings in there. I got this, really quickly:


It's not the prettiest or most precise, but maybe that is because of the gradient I chose.

Another way is to change the color mode to Indexed (Image > Mode > Indexed Color) and then fiddle with those settings, but this still doesn't produce exactly what you're looking for.


That's why I think it's probably best to do it by hand. Maybe there is a method I don't know of yet, but these are the two I've seen used for this. Most people want to remove the banding, so it's hard to find resources for creating it.

  • I am going to suggest a variant of John Manly's method. After creating the gradient, to to Image/Adjustments/Posterize and try different Levels on the slider as you watch the posterization take its effect.
    – user45605
    Sep 28, 2015 at 17:34
  • Cut out and posterization can produce similar effects, though I found the posterization didn't work as well with the orange gradient I tried it with. It might produce better results with a different set of colors
    – Manly
    Sep 28, 2015 at 18:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.