I found a job posting that says they have images that need to be 'clear cut', mostly of clothes, products, etc. Does anyone know what that means?

  • 1
    Did you try messaging the person to ask for clarification? – JohnB Oct 7 '15 at 18:03
  • most likely, it means "silhouetting" (aka "masking"). – Yorik Oct 7 '15 at 18:10
  • Yea, sounds like a silly, contrived way to say "background masking". – DA01 Oct 7 '15 at 18:49

Clear cut means to erase the background around a product. Here's an example: http://www.designjane.com/photo-clear-cut-photoshop-enhancements

  • I can't say I've ever heard that term used in the industry, though that link certainly makes it appear that it's used by at least one person. I've always used the term "masking". – DA01 Oct 7 '15 at 18:50
  • +1 "clear cut", "cut out", "mask" are all terms people will use for this. Clients don't always know the exact terms. In doubt, there's no shame in asking "do you mean you want me to remove or mask the background?" ;) – go-junta Oct 8 '15 at 1:08
  • 1
    Its also soul destroying... dont apply!!!! – Digital Lightcraft Oct 8 '15 at 13:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.