The old Microsoft Campaign ads of Your Potential Our Passion showed white lines running through bitmapped video. Most probably this is made in After Effects.


Do the white lines in itself have a name of the type of design? Is there a general term for superimposing such "vectors" in bitmaps (photos / videos)?

EDIT A Few Screenshots:

Vector and Bitmap together Microsoft Microsoft Your Potential Our Passion


The practice of drawing on frames of a film is called Rotoscoping.

Specifically, manually altering each frame of a video to include previously absent visuals. This is not only used for things like drawing on film, but special effects as well.

  • THanks! But I dont think this is simple Rotoscoping. Had this been just the line drawn animation, I would've agreed with you. I want to know the term for the coexistence of both the vector (could be rotoscoped) and the bitmap (moving video footage) – Gaurav Ramanan Oct 17 '15 at 15:39
  • What you are describing, the samples you've added are rotoscoping. Rotoscoping is the technique. Within that technique there are many styles, just like all artwork. – Scott Oct 17 '15 at 16:16
  • I Agree with you! I'm asking for this specific "style". I'll add more examples. – Gaurav Ramanan Oct 18 '15 at 7:01
  • Not all styles have a specific name. – Scott Oct 18 '15 at 7:43
  • Yep! Hence the question! To verify beyond all doubt! – Gaurav Ramanan Oct 18 '15 at 12:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.