How can I call the below kind of designs (tinted elements on photograph) enter image description here

I want to know, because to use the terms in search and so.

  • 4
    I don't think there is a specific name for it, beyond what you already said: tinted/transparent elements superimposed on a photograph. – Vincent Nov 2 '15 at 14:09

I suppose it could be consider a "DuoTone" of sorts but since it's most likely being accomplished via "color" blend mode, don't think anyone coined a term for it. I would say come up with a snazzy name. ;)

  • I think using the term "duotone' would add way more confusion than anything since this isn't even remotely a duotone. – Scott Nov 2 '15 at 17:27
  • I wouldn't say remotely but I do see your point. Yes, scratch the "duotone" term as to not add to confusion. – ErickP Nov 2 '15 at 17:31
  • :) I can see why you'd think duotone works, but generally duotones do not involve different pixels - a duotone is customarily the same art with just a slight bump to offset a second color. Once you get into different art for each color, it's no longer a duotone. :) But just my opinion :) – Scott Nov 2 '15 at 17:51
  • I love a good fiery debate but let's just leave it for something important like "which dark beer is the best?" ;) Cheers! – ErickP Nov 2 '15 at 20:56

A "2 color design" or a "2 color design with overprint". That's unfortunately not an official term for this specific style but still close to what it is.

In printing, I would call this a "multi channel" design but that's not a search term that will help you much if you are looking for inspiration online or examples; this term is related to the technique to achieve this with spot colors in Adobe Photoshop, not the style itself. It can help you find some tutorials to prepare print-ready files though.

And for clients, unfortunately, you might need to use the term "duotone" even though it's not really a duotone as mentioned in the other answer. Or stick to multi channel and explain them what it is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.