I have created a new layer X which I wish to apply to the lower layers with a blend mode such that the resulting image takes its alpha channel from layer X but all other channels from the lower layers. In this way, the layer X only defines the opacity of the resulting image. Does such a blend mode exist, and if so, what is it called? Does it exist in the GIMP?

  • I think this might be what you're after: graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/54781/… -- sounds like a huge pain not being able to mask a layer group, but then it is free software
    – Ryan
    Nov 13, 2015 at 18:24
  • I may be wrong but I think that question is slightly different. That question is about applying an existing mask to a number of layers (not about creating that mask), and this question is about creating a mask from an actual image or layer... I think.
    – Cai
    Nov 13, 2015 at 22:21
  • @Ryan In Gimp 2.10, you can add layer masks to layer groups
    – xenoid
    Aug 21, 2018 at 7:39


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.