In german we call it »Schnittverzierungen«. There are different kinds of them, the most common one is »Farbschnitt«, where all sides are colored.

Here are some examples:

enter image description here


»Goldschnitt« with ornaments


1 Answer 1


You could speak of edge painting or fore-edge painting, or gilt-edged for the golden variant.

  • 3
    The gilt edges here are also goffered. (Likely from gaufré; loosely "waffled", though the waffle is named for the pattern, not the other way around.) Nov 23, 2015 at 15:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.