Verge Video

What kind of effect is this? I know it's some kind of blending but I can't figure out what kind.

2 Answers 2


It's simple white text with overlay as blend mode:

enter image description here

  • I think there's some kind of gradient in there too, if you look at the A in astronaut for example. And can't decide if there's a grunge effect, or just low quality jpg.
    – PieBie
    Commented Jan 5, 2016 at 9:09

Photoshop Above layers (it might say "normal") or illustrator under the appearance panel or inDesign listed as "effects" (aka effects panel)

look for "overlay" or "multiply" in those sections(respectively).

I would also look into clipping masks for each. You might have better results having one bottom layer and then make a clipping mask with the text and adjust the color that way. It looks like the text is an overlay with a brighter lighting which could be just one of the other effects applied to it or it could be a more complex thing like a clipping mask.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.