What icon should I use for clearing all values from textboxes, selectors etc in my form on aspx website.

I don't want to use the reload button icon, because I'm not going to do postback I will just clear all the values. I've seen icon like brush to indicate cleaning but I don't think that indicates that it will clear all.

I want to make sure to indicate that it will clear all the text boxes etc in my form not just one.

Is it possible to do this without adding a text "ALL"?

  • I don't think you can. There will always be people who'll interpret it differently. I'd opt for a modal, asking the user to confirm whether or not to really clear all values. Alternatively, an undo clear all is also a good option for those who are caught by surprise.
    – PieBie
    Jan 27, 2016 at 7:46

2 Answers 2


The Noun project can give you ideas. Here are some ideas

enter image description hereenter image description here

Image 1-2: Search for Erase, by Chris Robinson and Dan Hetteix

enter image description hereenter image description here

Image 3-4: Search for Clear, by Ilsur Aptukov. Search for Empty by Sergey Demushkin.

I'm sure you can get more ideas by searching yourself. You can combine ideas, for example clipboard with a eraser symbol etc.

  • Thanks this i.stack.imgur.com/j9Hek.png actually is something what I had in my mind, I just didn't know how to symbolise the whole(everything/all in) form >.<
    – Ms. Nobody
    Jan 26, 2016 at 15:37
  • @Ms.Nobody I think it symbolizes the whole thing well. If i needed to be more explicit I would combine eraser with clipboard with text on it and then let the erase intersect all lines.
    – joojaa
    Jan 26, 2016 at 15:46

How about some sort of cleaning device?

  • A sponge
  • A window cleaning thing (squeegee)
  • A car frontwindow cleaning thing
  • A eraser

or my favorite:

  • A Skull with crossed bones ;)
  • I think the skull might make some people scared about what's going to happen :D...
    – Ms. Nobody
    Jan 26, 2016 at 15:00
  • The thing is is there some symbol that lets you know that the CLEANing device will be applied on whole form(it's like 10 things-mostly textboxes- to be filled)
    – Ms. Nobody
    Jan 26, 2016 at 15:02
  • What? I don't understand your comment. Do you have some screenshots?
    – KSPR
    Jan 26, 2016 at 15:11
  • thenounproject.com/search/?q=erase&i=3626 its called a squeegee
    – joojaa
    Jan 26, 2016 at 18:17
  • What an awesome word :)
    – KSPR
    Jan 26, 2016 at 19:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.