So if you've used Premiere Pro then this will make sense, but basically I have a very long document and when I remove an object from the middle, I have to select everything underneath and nudge it up. I was wondering if there's an easier way to make everything move up to fill the empty space that I deleted from.

  • I'm not familiar with this so I'm not really sure what you're asking here. Could you provide a screenshot or another example?
    – Hanna
    Jan 27 '16 at 18:29

No there is no such thing. There really can not be such a thing without inventing something to represent nothing, other than empty. But if you can identify anddescribe what that nothing is then I'm sure such a tool could be built.

See empty space is as valid design as nonempty space. Maybe your looking to compress/auto layout artboards, but why not use InDesign then?


"Very long document" and "Adobe Illustrator" don't really go together. As @joojaa mentioned, you very well may be better off using InDesign for a document of any length. Artboards in Illustrator are there to allow you to have separate canvases to work on, but shouldn't be used as "pages" of a long document. InDesign is a much better tool.

If you needed a hole in a piece of wood, you could technically use a hammer and nail to do the job, but you'd have a much easier time (and many better options) by using a drill.

All that said, to answer your main question... No, there isn't a good way in Illustrator to do what you're asking (but there is in InDesign!).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.