I'm designing a brand identity guidelines, I've made a change to the "J" letter in the logo, i'm using Museo Sans Rounded and the "J" has a top line that doesn't match with the isotype. There is a page where that change has to be explained but i don't know the technical name of the J top line.


1 Answer 1


If you're talking about the capitolized J in Museo Sans Rounded, I think you're referring to the Arm of that letter.

J letter

Quote from http://www.typographydeconstructed.com/arm/

Definition: The arm of a letter is the horizontal stroke on some characters that does not connect to a stroke or stem at one or both ends. The top of the capital T and the horizontal strokes of the F and E are examples of arms. Additionally, the diagonal upward stroke on a K is its arm. Sometimes arm is used interchangeably with bar or crossbar or cross stroke.

Arm is often also used to describe the mostly horizontal top stroke of C, double-storey a, G, and other glyphs, to include the finial, terminal, spur, or other elements of the stroke.

Also Known As: crossbar, cross stroke

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.