I wish to modify the spacing in a font such that it matches the look in photoshop. In photoshop I have set the "tracking" to be 200. In FontForge (fonteditor), I can only modify LBearing and Rbearing. Does 200 trackin in photoshop mean 100 LBeargin and 100 Rbearing in FontForge? Or is it 200 LB and 200 RB?

  • Hi Vlad. Maybe a silly question but.. What's wrong with using tracking? – Cai Feb 17 '16 at 10:47
  • Also have you actually tried it? Seems your question is whether to use 100 or 200 bearing each side, doesn't seem like it would take much to just try both? – Cai Feb 17 '16 at 10:49
  • tracking is not available as a property in FontForge. I wanted to understand what is the relationship between photoshop tracking and bearings in general. – Vlad Otrocol Feb 17 '16 at 11:21
  • Ok, fair enough. As far as I'm aware tracking is always something that is done after the fact and not a property of the font so although you can probably get the same spacing by adjusting the bearings on the actual font, you probably can't translate the values 1:1 and it will probably need a bit of trial and error. I'm by no means certain though. – Cai Feb 17 '16 at 17:23
  • My previous point stands though, have you tried? Seems like a sure fire way to find out the answer. – Cai Feb 17 '16 at 17:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.