I want to do the overlay/filter effects below(note they are pretty subtle):

enter image description here

enter image description here

I've experimented with several blending options but I can't seem to find out how the make that overlay effect. A detailed response is appreciative. Thank you in advance.

  • 1
    Looks like a solid color with a gradient mask. Have you tried that?
    – Mamoon
    Feb 28, 2016 at 14:41

1 Answer 1


Well, you can do this pretty easy.

  1. Have a background image
  2. Go to Create new fill or adjustment layer > Solid Color
  3. Select a color
  4. Click on the Layer Mask and take the Brush tool, choose black as the foreground color(1) and set it's hardness to 0 and it's opacity to 10-15% (or whatever makes you happy) and adjust the brush size.
  5. Start painting where you want it to be see-through

enter image description here

(1) When using a Solid Color you can change the color by double clicking on the Layer thumbnail and selecting a color. When clicking on the Layer thumbnail mask you can use two colors: black and white where full white means 100% opacity of the color you selected on the Layer thumbnail and full black means 100% Transparency of that same color.

So in our case, choosing a black brush with 15% opacity we are actually erasing 15% of the color's opacity, leaving it with only 85%.

enter image description here

Result: enter image description here

It's better to use a brush instead of a gradient cause you have more control over the result and you can give it different shapes/sizes/opacity and by using a solid color you maintain full editing capabilities of everything and you can change the shape, the color, everything.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.