What is this texture or fine artwork called/named? The poor graphic is a screenshot from a 70's styled movie? Geometric surrealism doesn't pull Google images, but is best guess. surreal geometric?

  • 2
    If it is a 70's style it could be close to the "Late modern era". For me I will call it "modern art" abstract pattern
    – hsawires
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 5:07
  • 1
    Could you please provide some other pieces in the same style, perhaps of a little higher quality? Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 18:39
  • @ZachSaucier I would if I could. Screenshot from ipad.
    – Charles
    Commented Mar 24, 2016 at 1:31

1 Answer 1


Abstract Cubism

Karel mentions Geometric abstraction, which is close, but that tends to be flatter and simpler of composition, and have a more repetitive pattern.

This image is much more chaotic of composition, it's hard to find an actual pattern. It also shows different shades on relatively simple individual shapes, implying depth. Both Cubism and Futurism use this treatment of form, but they're generally more figurative:

enter image description hereenter image description here

Both these have fairly recognizable elements; a town and several ships. They're abstracted, but not quite abstract.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.