I'm trying to create a blend similar to the one in the attached image. Would it have a better result in Photoshop or Illustrator, and what would be the best method?


1 Answer 1


It depends on your intent (and preferences) .

Especially for print I would use Illustrator. If given the choice, always use vector, in my opinion. It's definitely more flexible (in terms of scaling at least), and using raster based graphics may result in a... less smooth gradient/blend. For a result like your example above I would recommend Illustrator's Mesh Tool. You can learn more about the Mesh Tool here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/illustrator-growing-gradient-mesh-tomato.html

Photoshop is not excluded. If you, like many people, are working mostly in Photoshop it's still an option. You can get a nice result if you take your time. Try experiment with different soft brushes, maybe different blend modes etc. But I would primarily use it for digital purposes.

Hope it helps!

Have fun :)

  • I agree with Tommy, Illustrator: Gradient Mesh. There are blogs out there on how to adjust meshes with stunning results.
    – alokiNik
    Mar 12, 2016 at 10:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.