In searching for themes for my personal blog, I stumbled upon the following design and I'm really curious about how the effect was created as I want to do something similar.

It appears to be some rough cut out with a fade and some smudging as well as combining a few images in an interesting way, but I have no idea how to pull it off in Photoshop or some other tool from the Adobe suite.

Here are 2 examples of the effect, which I can't find a specific name for:

Image 1

Image 2

I would be extremely grateful for any help or even a link to a tutorial if someone has seen something similar explained before :)

closed as off-topic by go-junta, Zach Saucier, Hanna, DᴀʀᴛʜVᴀᴅᴇʀ Mar 22 '16 at 13:47

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "If you're asking for help with implementation, please include what you've tried and why it didn't work with screenshots. Please edit your post with what your desired results are, what resources you referenced and why those didn't work. See this meta post for discussion and see this post on how to ask a good question." – go-junta, Zach Saucier, Hanna, DᴀʀᴛʜVᴀᴅᴇʀ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


There are plenty of ways to do this, the easiest way is probably to create a layer mask and use a rough chalk brush or something similar.

My approach

Do a rough cut with the polygonal lasso, or any tool of your choice.

rough cut

Add a layer mask to your layer. You find it in the bottom right corner. Then use a rough paintbrush with black color, to draw around the edge. An opacity arount 70% works good here.

enter image description here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.