Is there an industry term for a ribbon wrapping the corner of a design element? I'm going to be referring to this a lot in the near future, and it would be great if I could call it something more intelligent than "The corner ribbon thingy"

One example of what I'm talking about is on the site: http://www.brasseriegerard.co.uk/ The right-hand div has three elements which it rotates through. The first element has a red 'New' ribbon wrapping the corner of it.

Thank you!


I've heard it called a "snipe" by someone with 30 years in the advertising business. We also called it a "corner hat."


I'd call it a 'corner flash'. It's often a triangle rather than a ribbon, and as in this case, it's most commonly associated with a "New!" message.

  • 1
    +1 for the only answer which, when put into google images, shows me what the questioner was referring to (their site seems to be currently down) Mar 9 '12 at 16:08
  • The company is permanently down AFAIK...
    – e100
    Mar 9 '12 at 16:56

I would probably call it a "corner element."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.