What is the name of the symbol shown below used to sometimes stylize page numbering or to call attention to an item in the page? It's hard to explain with words, but here's a picture.

dashes similar to em- or en-dash

Does this have a name? It looks like a dash with a tapered end. I'm looking for the general name of this type of dash, the unicode value, or for information about the font family that it is tied to.

1 Answer 1


These glyphs are part of Adobe Wood Type Ornaments

enter image description here

You can read more about these glyphs here. I don't think they have a unicode value, but you can access them via the Character Viewer in OSX or the Glyphs panel in Adobe software.

  • 1
    And they are typically called "ornaments" as well.
    – Jongware
    May 9, 2016 at 12:00
  • 1
    Thanks Alex that helped immensely. The character codes for the left and right ornaments imaged above under Windows is: 0x63 (ALT+099 decimal) and 0x43 (ALT+067 decimal) in the Woodtype Ornaments 2 family. May 9, 2016 at 18:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.