There is this type of graphic art that involves using only parts of the picture to trick me as if I am seeing the whole picture.

For example, you might include a few stripes and an eye, all placed where they should anatomically be, as a means of conveying a tiger.


example 1

example 2


2 Answers 2


There's no name for the style you're referring to that I'm aware of. Its just using Gestalt Principle of Closure which can be read about in all sorts of places such as Creative Bloq: Gestalt Theory.

The most iconic probably being the World Wildlife Foundation Panda

enter image description here

We also have a number of questions on the topic: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/search?q=gestalt


These are examples of negative space designs.

  • No, they're not.
    – paddotk
    Commented May 25, 2016 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.