I want to recreate the smoky texture that is depicted in these images. Please can someone identify this technique and if possible direct me to a decent tutorial for it? I'm adept at photoshop and illustrator. Thankyou
These aren't smoke, they're ink. I'm not 100% sure of the first one, it almost looks like crumpled fabric or a piece of a plant, but the second one definitely is a drop of ink in water.
Yeah I'm pretty sure.
edit: oh yeah; the technique.
Take a camera, a drop of ink, and some water. Drop the drop of ink in the water. Take photos. In photoshop, fiddle with colors.
A few more tips on technique:
- camera on a tripod
- a fishtank or container with flat glass. Curved glass like a jamjar will distort the image (but that may also be cool).
- a very wide aperture (f stop) to create the shallow depth of field
- soft lighting from multiple directions (if you don't have fancy lights, put the container in a well lit window and use sheets of white paper to reflect daylight)
- you'll have to play around to avoid reflections.
- a fast shutter speed
- best choice would be a macro lens on a DSLR (or a zoom lens if you haven't got a macro - you need to be far away from the tank and zoom in on the area where the ink will swirl.)
- put a plain coloured piece of card or cloth behind the tank, but some distance away - about the same distance as your camera is from the tank.