This may seem like an odd question but here it goes...

I've built an 'arcade machine' and would like to design and print a photo-quality sheet to go on the control panel. The control panel has lots of buttons (and 2 joysticks) and is 700mm wide by 280mm high (i.e. much bigger than A4 - in fact it will be three and a bit A4 sheets).

I would like to know what program I could use (if there is one?!?!) that would allow me to create a design that was 700mm x 280mm and also position circles on the design that would correspond to the button holes on the control panel (i.e. put circles to specific locations on the drawing that would correspond to a specific ?mm x ?mm position on the final drawing). This way I can incorporate writing to my drawing such as "Fire", "Pause", "Credit" etc and they will appear above the correct buttons on the final printed image.

And also then print this image out across multiple A4 sheets in order to tape them together, cut out the 'holes' needed for the buttons etc and then use it behind the Perspex on my control panel.

Does anyone have any ideas how I would achieve this?


  • 2
    Pretty much any proper application would work for that, except something like MS paint. Perhaps: Illustrator, Photoshop, Gimp or Inkscape. Depending on the starting point, you could perhaps use some 2D CAD application, to make a precise blueprint first. As for the "printing the image across multiple A4 sheets" goes: graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/30008/… – Joonas May 25 '16 at 10:04
  • @Joonas so does Photoshop allow you to create an image to exact dimensions like that and then allow you to place items on the image in 'real world' dimensions (such as a circle that's 120mm in from the left and 150mm up from the bottom etc) ?? – John T May 25 '16 at 10:22
  • 1
    Most "proper" applications do. I'm not entirely sure about Gimp, cause it has some oddities. Photoshop definitely does. You can insert a value with the unit symbol to replace any existing values, even if the prior values were in pixels, for example. If you're going to use PS, you might want to create the document with International Paper preset, to make sure the print resolution is good and stuff. Illustrator may be slightly easier for the precise measurements ( and a CAD application would be even better ). – Joonas May 25 '16 at 10:34
  • @Joonas thanks for that. My work has a license for photoshop so I'll have a play around with it. Thanks again. If you want to add your first comment as an answer then I'll accept it :-) – John T May 25 '16 at 10:40
  • 1
    @Joonas Please avoid answering questions in comments. Comments are meant to be temporary. Thanks! – Vincent May 25 '16 at 11:19

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.