Possible Duplicate:
Create a “pixeled” Background

I want to create popular fine-grained texture for background. I don't know how it's called in a right way so I even can not even google any tutorials. Examples can be found everywhere: in twitter header, picture below or even this site light blue background.

I'd like to know how this technique is called and will be happy to see some tutorials.

Texture example

  • That specific texture would likely be 'film grain' which is caused by the film itself. As hamstu points out, adding noise is an easy way to create that.
    – DA01
    May 2, 2012 at 19:05

1 Answer 1


The texture you're referring to is the result of a simple noise filter. In Photoshop it's acceisble via Filter -> Noise -> Add Noise...

To recreate the effect seen on this site, and also in yor attatched image, you'll want settings like this:

  • Amount: 5-10%
  • Distribution: Your preference (I usually choose Guassian)
  • Check Monochromatic

You can adjust the Amount to your liking. Also, be sure you're applying this Filter to a non-empty layer. (So fill it with white or blue, for example)


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.