enter image description here

So I'm trying to figure out how to add a curved little highlight to the right of this rounded rectangle. I have a highlight underneath (in it light green), but I can not for the life of me create one to sit beside this rounded rectangle.

I tried to draw it with the pen tool, but it looks "off" I tried to use the shape builder but that just gives me a semi circle. When I add the stroke, it obviously strokes the full object.

Any ideas?? I'm using AI CC.

  • 1
    Can you maybe Photoshop us up a quick visualization of what you're trying to accomplish? I think I have an easy way to accomplish this, using strokes, but I need to make sure we are on the same page. – Manly Jun 7 '16 at 18:03

Just going off of what I picture in my head that you are after. I would use a circular path, stroked, with a round cap:

enter image description here

Select which Anchor Point(s) you'd like removed and delete:

enter image description here

Add a round cap:

enter image description here


enter image description here

When you get your highlight how you want it, I would suggest expanding its appearance (Object > Expand).

I just realized that I made my highlight inside the rectangle and not beside it, but the method is still the same, regardless of where the highlight gets placed.

  • 1
    Yes! Thank you so much. It didn't even dawn on me to just delete the anchor points. – Anna Platano Smith Jun 8 '16 at 0:51

Just to add to Manly's answer—If you are working with irregular shapes, you can use the Offset Path function (Object → Path → Offset Path...) to get the paths you need. Use a negative value to inset and a positive value to outset.

Offset Path

Delete the parts you don't need, set a stroke etc:

Stroked Highlights

  • 1
    Thank you! I also didn't think of this method. Very helpful for odd shapes. Thanks! – Anna Platano Smith Jun 8 '16 at 0:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.