enter image description here

I would like to know how to create an effect like this in Illustrator. I already tried grunge textures but I can't get the same kind of fade.


  • 2
    Does it absolutely need to be done in Illustrator? Texture, blending, and shading are usually easier to create in pixel-based environments like Photoshop or Gimp. It's possible, but I think this is a valuable question to ask because it could save some time.
    – Jory L
    Jun 9, 2016 at 16:30
  • I agree with Jory. This is a job that requires different software. Illustrator for making the logo itself, Photoshop for adding the fade effect.
    – mrchaarlie
    Jun 14, 2016 at 18:48
  • 1
    try googling 'how to create stamp effect'.
    – HaraldCFS
    Jul 13, 2016 at 12:48
  • maybe gradient mesh? but very time consuming so it seems.
    – Troy Woo
    Jul 21, 2016 at 10:37

1 Answer 1


Here's a pretty simple solution for illustrator. If you want to cut blurred holes into objects or even into live(still changeable text):

1) Just draw the shapes of the holes where you'd like them to be. They must be over the text you wish to cut them into.

2) Then select these objects and use the soft-edge tool(in the Effects palette). and soften these as you like.

3) Next, select both the `holes´ and text below them.

4) While both `holes´ and text are still selected, go to the transparency palette, click on the tiny arrow on the upper-right corner and select clipping path.
Your should now have blurred openings in your text. You could even scan in a weathered texture jpg, convert it to vectors, delete the white and use the remaing black weathered texture as your blurred mask.

This is a CS4 Illustrator method so there's probably even more comfortable versions of this solution in the higher versions

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.