I have a design for a control looking like this:

enter image description here

I'd like to know if there is a commonly used name for such control to google its implementations.

  • 3
    Multiple selection listbox is the first thing that comes to mind Commented Jun 22, 2016 at 14:35
  • thanks, I'll check if I can google something using this name Commented Jun 22, 2016 at 14:43

2 Answers 2


As suggested on Kaylee Chatham's comment, it is also called multiple selection listbox or multiple choice listbox.

As seen on number 6 in this confusing page I found, this could also be called an Accumulator:

Description: When a user needs to select items from separate sets of search results or other large, unwieldy data sets- let them manipulate the left (search, sort, navigate or filter), and add to the right.

  • This really depends on audience. For example, if you asked a few developers to draw a sketch of a "multiple selection listbox", you'd get variations and different interpretations. Likewise, a user probably wouldn't know what the heck you're talking about without a picture. Depending on what you're writing about, I'd be inclined not to give it a name, since it is really several controls combined into one. Commented Jun 22, 2016 at 17:11
  • I'm aware that these are two listboxes combined with other elements, but OP asks for a name to use for searching and in that case this answers the question
    – Luciano
    Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 8:56

I would actually consider this more than one control, two list boxes and several buttons.

Using the terminology recommended by the Microsoft Manual of Style 4th edition, you would refer to the lists as "lists" within text.


In the Available Tasks list, select a task, and then click the the > button.

I would be leery to call it a "multiple selection listbox" because there are list boxes that allow users to select multiple items that are distinct from the controls shown in this question. If I needed a single word for this control, I'd probably call it "a double-paned list box", or something like that. But my preference would be to not call it anything and refer instead to individual parts. I think trying to force a name on this control as a whole would come off as jargony and not easily understood by a general user.

  • I completely agree with you, although OP did say they wanted a term so they could research their use rather than actually using the term.
    – Cai
    Commented Jun 22, 2016 at 17:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.