Is there a specific term for this type of color/light effect overlay? If so, what is it?

a user suggest 'gradient mesh' However I am not quiet sure with this as it does not come up in Google accurately.

enter image description here enter image description here

closed as unclear what you're asking by AndrewH, Rafael, Cai, Zach Saucier, DᴀʀᴛʜVᴀᴅᴇʀ Jul 8 '16 at 3:37

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Hi LordSacha, are you trying to find multi-colored gradients like the semi-transparent square over the iphone screen? Probably something like "gradient mesh background" or "multi gradient background". Why not just make the backgrounds? You could just paint with a soft brush and then blur the image to smooth out the transition of colors. – AndrewH Jul 1 '16 at 17:01
  • Yes. This is a screenshit from an app. The circle below are 100 alpha effect and the square overlay is 40 alpha. And yes I am looking for the proper term of this technique if there is any. – LordSacha Jul 1 '16 at 17:09
  • What exactly are you looking to download? They just look like gradients, unless I'm missing something (I don't quite understand what's going on in that screenshot so I may be) – Cai Jul 1 '16 at 18:18
  • It was gradient used as photo color effect/lighting effect by overlaying them. I am looking for the term for this technique so that i can search on google, etc. – LordSacha Jul 1 '16 at 23:55
  • I'm still not sure what you are looking to download. All they are, are gradients used as filters or overlays. It's not something you can download, you either have an app that does this (which it looks like you already have) or you could download or create some gradients and search for techniques for using them as overlays or filters (most likely just using blending modes and transparency). – Cai Jul 2 '16 at 7:07

That would be a type of gradient overlay, a light leak. :)

  • Is that term more proper than 'light leaks'? – LordSacha Jul 2 '16 at 14:38
  • I would say that a light leak is a specific type of gradient overlay (closer to what you meant!) and have updated my answer accordingly. – Fredrick Brennan Jul 2 '16 at 14:44
  • ... Fine by me.. as long as some senior endorsed it. I am, you know, a newbie in this design dimension. – LordSacha Jul 2 '16 at 14:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.