I have a pattern where important clickable links have smaller text on top of big text to save horizontal space and emphasize the bigger text.


enter image description here

What do you call the smaller text? I'm just trying to name my CSS classes. I'm looking for something semantic like how HTML tags are designed that describes what it is, and not how it looks.

  • 2
    I'd call it a subheading Jul 7, 2016 at 1:04
  • I've thought about that, but don't you need a heading for there to be a subheading? Otherwise the subheading is just a heading, and technically the big text of the link is not a heading since it does not describe a section of content, it is a self-contained link. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Jul 7, 2016 at 2:06
  • You could call the whole thing a "banner" Jul 7, 2016 at 2:32
  • Well in order to give you a semantic name for the text that comes before your link, might I ask what class you named the actual link? Jul 7, 2016 at 2:46
  • Nothing right now, other than the fact that it's an anchor tag. It's literally just a link that looks like the picture above, and I'm stumped on the naming. To clarify, the small text is contained in the link, it's not before the link. Jul 7, 2016 at 4:06

1 Answer 1


you could use a span tag within the banner class, and call it small or smalltext.

  • Hi Ana, welcome to GD.SE and thanks for your answer. I'm sorry, I don't see how your input answers the Asker's question. They indicate they want to know what a somewhat official name is, 'desrcib[ing] what it is, and not how it looks'. If you have any questions about this site, have a look at the help center or feel free to ping one of us in Graphic Design Chat once your reputation allows you to. Keep contributing and enjoy the site!
    – Vincent
    Jul 7, 2016 at 11:41
  • Thanks Vincent, unlike headings, there is not an official name for classes. I was suggesting a way to facilitate the organization of the Asker's stylesheet by using a span class instead and referring to the description of the class itself when naming these. In this case would be 'smalltext' inside the 'banner' class, hope it makes sense
    – Ana Santos
    Jul 7, 2016 at 11:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.