I've noticed that some of my typefaces have weird character mapping. For example, I have a few types designed by Dieter Steffmann, whose work is beautiful, but whose mapping is somewhat unorthodox (eg. his ſ is often mapped to a +).

Is there any way to remap certain characters without typecasting software?

  • If you have a legal copy of such a font, it's perfectly okay to ask the publisher for a Unicode-compliant version. The worst thing they can do is say "no".
    – Jongware
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:46
  • @RadLexus, I've read through his EULA and remapping doesn't violate that. Regardless, this is about how to do so practically, rather than getting into legal theory (in which case it would fall under Law.SE instead)
    – NoahM
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:48
  • I wasn't suggesting you would violate the EULA, but asking the publisher. That is probably not illegal.
    – Jongware
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:49
  • @RadLexus, the same question would hold true of if I were to create my own type, lose the original files, and realise that I need to remap what I have.
    – NoahM
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:50
  • 1
    If you’re worried about the expense of the software, FontForge (fontforge.github.io/en-US) is free, and you can use it to fix encoding problems easily.
    – Thérèse
    Dec 3, 2016 at 17:41

1 Answer 1


FontForge is open-source and would let you do this. Failing that, you could write out your text and use a macro for find/replace.

  • See the comments above.
    – Thérèse
    Mar 22, 2017 at 1:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.